Post by Electric Herb on Jun 17, 2009 23:20:39 GMT -7
Got a call about two weeks ago from a lady at a local business in an industrial park. She said they had bees in an in-ground irrigation control box. I told her I would drop by that evening to check out the situation. She called back later that day and said her brother wanted to get into beekeeping and had a friend that would help him entice the bees out of the control box.
A couple of days ago, she called back and said that her brother was unsuccessful and I could have the bees if I wanted them. Yesterday afternoon, Bugleman (Kevin) and I went over and cut them out. They had filled about a third of the box with comb. The bees were extremely gentle and cooperated well. Looks like they had swarmed recently judging from the empty queen cells.
Cut out the comb sections that we could and held them in two open frames with string. Kevin did most of the work in gathering the bees and I worked on stringing in the comb. I went back after night-fall and moved the nuc to an outyard.